How can you prepare your house before you leave?
Being prepared to be away from your home is crucial to your ability to relax while you are gone. Here are some ways to ensure that you are all set:
- Always make sure your house sitter knows when you are leaving (date and hour) and when you plan to return (date and hour).
- Leave all appropriate landline phone numbers as well as your cell phone, email, fax or whatever contact information you have (such as conference organizer, hotel, relative’s cell etc).
- Make sure your house sitter has all your keys, garage door opener and/or any other items or codes necessary to enter your home. If you have an alarm system, don’t forget to notify your service that your house sitter will be entering your home.
- Notify any appropriate neighbors or family members that you have hired a house sitter and that the sitter has permission to be going in and out of your home.
- Leave a list of any appointments or services which will be simultaneously being provided (such as lawn and garden care, house cleaners etc) as well as contact phone numbers for these providers.
- Leave a list of instructions for house plant care, watering schedule, mail/forwarding instructions, shopping lists etc.
- Make sure you have provided guidelines for visitors who may also enter the home, how you like would repairs or emergencies to be handled. A list of preferred providers is always helpful such as plumbers, electricians, handyman, tree services etc.
- Make sure to provide your house sitter with other local contact persons with respective phone numbers who have access to your home in case of emergency.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, you may also want to notify the police that you will be gone.